Staying Strong



I wanted to make this post because I had a very rough morning. One of my students decided to make some poor choices and did not see that her actions really affected the rest of the class. I struggled with trying to understand what was going on between the students because it did not seem that it was applicable to what we were learning in the lesson. The situation got worst when the student got really upset and walked out the classroom. I felt that the mood in my classroom today was not positive. Sometimes students bring things with them into the class that are out of your control. I felt like I was not doing a good job at settling the situation because the students were still arguing and making the classroom environment very negative. I tried to keep calm the entire time and make sure that the other students in the room were getting something from this lesson. I successfully removed the two students who were causing the issue and continued with the lesson. When the students were returned to the class, the problem escalated to another level. I definitely felt like my patience was being tested. I left my class today feeling completing lost and defeated. However, I realized something when I got home. The situation that took place in the classroom today was not my fault and that I did everything that I could to make the situation better. Sometimes when you do what is best for your students, there are somethings that get in your way. I wanted the students to removed from the class for the entire period. I would have been able to complete the assignment with my class today. This was out of my control. I dealt with the situation and tried to solve the issue to the best of my ability. I have to give myself credit for being calm and supporting students when needed. I think the students appreciated this in the end. I will try to reflect on this experience come up with a way to help my students move forward with this issues and restore positivity in my class. I have to remember to stay strong and not tolerate the behavior.

One of the best things to happen all day was talking to one of my students in the dorm. He was really stressed out about his relationship with the other staff member in the dorm. He saw all of the great things that I was doing and made me feel needed and important. We also had a long conversation about life and our high school experiences. It was the best conversation I have had in a long time. I love the boys in my dorm! They always make me feel appreciated. After long day of disappointment, this was great way to end the day. #lovemyjob

No comments

Back to Top